Hemorrhoids are, literally, a huge pain in the rear end. They are often included in one of the negative side effects of pregnancy, but really anyone can end up with them.
They are a very distressing condition that is not only painful and uncomfortable but extremely embarrassing as well. Fortunately, there are several ways to prevent and ease hemorrhoid discomfort that can be done at home.
Some lifestyle changes can greatly prevent the onset of hemorrhoids. Leading a healthy lifestyle can help a great deal. A few more specific things to help prevent hemorrhoids are:
- Drinking plenty of water and increasing your fiber intake to maximize your regularity
- Wear cotton underwear to allow adequate air flow to the anal area
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time or lifting heavy objects
- Empty your bowels as soon as you feel the urge
If you do go through the pain of developing hemorrhoids, to get started on a medication regime as soon as possible to combat the development of hemorrhoids.
Many over-the-counter products help treat your hemorrhoids at home, such as anything that contains hydrocortisone or witch hazel.
These come in ointment, creams, suppositories, or pads. Also it is a good idea to take a pain reliever that contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help with the pain.
Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen, however, as these will make the bleeding worse.
Besides medication, there are several other ways to treat hemorrhoids at home. Try such things as:
- Soaking in a sitz bath several times a day for 15 minutes. Take care to make sure the water isn’t too warm
- Apply an ice pack several times a day, and alternate with heat and warm compresses several times a day
- Keep the anus area clean but do not use soap. Use a hairdryer to dry the area after you clean it
- If you can, sleep on your stomach with a pillow under your hips to decrease swelling
There are many other home treatments you can try. Take a look at my review of Hemorrhoid Free No More here to learn more of them.
Hemorrhoids are a major source of discomfort, but experimenting with these different methods of home treatments and see what works best to make you feel better.